This isn’t a common accident scenario, but accidents often involve the unexpected. Do you know what to do if your car crashes into the water and you are trapped?
Here is our Dallas accident attorney’s advice for escaping a sinking car:
- Wear your seatbelt. An injury will make it much harder to escape a submerged vehicle.
- Remain calm.
- Unlock the doors and open the windows. You need to do this as quickly as possible because your electric system may short out if it gets wet.
- Remove your seatbelt.
- If your window would not open, you will need to break it. Side and rear windows are easier to break than the windshield. Hit the lower corner with a heavy object or rescue device.
- We suggest buying a LifeHammer tool or the key chain version, ResQMe. The tool is designed to break windows and has an attached seat belt cutter.
- If you can’t break the window, you will need to use the door. Because of pressure, you won’t be able to open the door until your car is almost full of water.
- Once you get out, swim to safety. Don’t return to the car for any reason.
Our Dallas car wreck lawyers hope you never have to use this information. Browse our website for more information about preventing Dallas auto accidents and what to do if you are ever in a Texas car crash. If you’d like to discuss your own situation, contact the Dallas car accident lawyers at the Rasansky Law Firm at 1-877-405-4313.