A Jefferson County woman has filed a medical malpractice lawsuit regarding the death of her husband at Memorial Hermann Baptist Beaumont Hospital.
On April 24, 2009, Brandon Atkins was admitted to the hospital for a serious infection. He died the next day of toxic shock resulting from a streptococcal infection and necrotizing fasciitis, known commonly as flesh-eating bacteria. His wife, Hope Atkins, believes that her partner died because the hospital did not act quickly enough, did not treat her husband reasonably, and did not consult an infectious disease specialist during his short stay. If not for the delayed treatment, she believes her spouse would still be alive. Atkins is seeking compensation for loss of inheritance and survival damages in this case.
Judge Bob Wortham will hear the Texas medical malpractice case. The lawsuit has been filed against both the hospital and the physician who treated Atkins, Dr. Nathaniel Alford.