There are many types of injuries that can occur during pregnancy and delivery, ranging from minor to severe. Among the most common types of birth injuries are:
- Cerebral palsy.
- Brachial plexus injuries (Erb’s palsy, Klumpke’s palsy).
- Infections (B strep, meningitis).
- Baby brain damage.
- Bruising and bleeding beneath the cranial bones.
- Bone fracture and nerve damage (often to the upper arm).
- Shoulder dystocia.
- Spina bifida.
- Folic acid deficiency, anemia.
- Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension.
- Blood flow and/or oxygen being cut off to the baby during delivery (causing anoxia, hypoxia, birth asphyxia, or perinatal asphyxia).
- Wrongful death.