This week we covered the tragic story of a Texas father and daughter who died in a four-wheeler accident in Harris County. Both suffered severe head trauma when their ATV flipped backward while going up a steep embankment in a Razor all-terrain vehicle at an off-road park. Sadly, ATV rollover accidents are one of the major causes of Texas ATV injuries and fatalities.
What are some of the other common causes of ATV accidents?
- Rollovers. Most ATV fatalities are the result of rollover accidents in which drivers and passengers are seriously injured when the vehicle flips, causing traumatic head injuries and blunt force injuries. Rollovers can be caused by poor ATV design, reckless driving, steep embankments, and a lack of manufacturer warnings.
- Reckless driving. ATVs are off-road vehicles, but that does not necessarily mean that you can drive them anywhere and be safe. Many all-terrain vehicle accidents occur when drivers run into obstacles, drive on uneven ground, or speed in unsafe conditions.
- Manufacturing defects. Many safety advocates lament the lack of regulations when it comes to ATV design and safety, and many past ATV accidents and lawsuits have revolved around design flaws, a lack of proper safety warnings, and dangerous products.
- Drinking and driving. Just as with all other vehicle accidents and traffic fatalities, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a major factor when it comes to ATV accidents. Just because you are off-road does not mean that it is safe to drink and drive – ever.
- Inexperienced drivers. A shocking number of ATV accident victims are children and teens. Others are those who are getting on an off-road four-wheeler for only the first or second time. It is extremely important that new ATV drivers know about the common dangers of the vehicles, that they have read the warnings, and that they are old enough to safely operate a vehicle.
Who is to blame for your Texas ATV accident and injury? The answer depends on the details of your accident. To learn more about your possible injury lawsuit and to better understand what caused your ATV accident, you need to speak with a lawyer. Our Dallas vehicle accident attorneys offer all injury victims a complimentary, no-obligation meeting. Call Rasansky Law Firm today at 1-877-405-4313 to schedule your appointment.