Texas car accidents can be painful, expensive, and life altering. One of the best ways to prevent them is to simply maintain your car and be aware of how to use its built-in safety features. One of the most important safety features on your vehicle are your headlights – and yet a study conducted by AAA found that one out of four cars has an issue with its headlights. Maintaining your headlights and knowing when and how to use them are two great ways to avoid vehicle accidents and injuries.
Headlight safety tips for Texas drivers:
- Use your headlights during the day. It’s a myth that using your headlights drains your battery or uses extra gas. Using your headlights every time you drive makes you more visible to other drivers and also makes certain that your lights are on during the light transitions at dawn and dusk.
- Check your headlight brightness. Many people do not know that headlight brightness dims over time – check them by parking about five feet in front of a wall at night and examining the light they give off. Replace dim lights with high-quality bulbs.
- Clean or replace your headlight lenses. Your headlight lenses can cloud over, get covered with salt or dust, or become affected by the heat of the headlight itself. While replacing the covers can be expensive, cleaning them is a fast, easy job with the help of a kit.
- Check the aim of your headlights. Your headlights won’t do you much good at all if they are not aimed in the right direction. When checking your headlights’ brightness, also make sure that both are pointing straight ahead.
- Prevent headlight glare. Headlights can be helpful – unless their glare is preventing you from seeing the road. Minimize glare by keeping your windshield clear and free of dings and cracks. Also make sure your windshield wipers are in good working order to prevent streaks that can increase glare.
Don’t feel completely powerless against TX traffic accidents! You can take steps to prevent wrecks, and many times the steps only involve simple, inexpensive car maintenance.
Have you been involved in a Texas traffic accident that should have been prevented, or that was caused by carelessness or negligence? Contact a Dallas car accident attorney at Rasansky Law Firm today.