This month a sophomore from Abilene Christian University (ACU) was critically injured in a scooter and car collision.
The man, a social work major, is now in a Dallas hospital with a traumatic brain injury. With this in mind, the Dallas motorcycle accident attorneys at Rasansky Law Firm have collected some scooter and moped safety tips for their readers:
- Wear a helmet. This will always and forever be the single most important safety measure scooter and moped riders can take. A helmet will help prevent fatal accidents, prevent head injuries, or, at the very least, minimize brain trauma in the event of a crash.
- Check your mirrors often. Because motorized scooters will often be traveling at a slower speed than other vehicles around them it is vital that you check your rear-view mirrors often to keep an eye on approaching traffic.
- Be visible. One of the biggest dangers of moped riding is the small size of your vehicle – some drivers simply won’t see you coming. Increase your visibility by choosing a brightly colored scooter, using your headlight, wearing reflective clothing at night.
- Use your turn signal – and hand signals. A large number of moped accidents happen at intersections. Some motorists can’t see or aren’t looking for your turn signal, so add a hand signal for extra warning.
- Be aware that two wheels are less stable than four. Hazards that are not a big deal in your car, such as potholes, loose gravel, and grooved pavement, can be extremely dangerous for mopeds and scooters. Also be careful and slow down when negotiating sharp curves.
- Remember: not many drivers are familiar with moped laws! Perhaps the most dangerous aspect of riding a scooter is the fact that many other drivers on the road don’t know the dangers scooters face or the laws they abide by. Always assume that the drivers around you don’t know who has the right of way.
If you have been injured in a motorized scooter accident or moped accident – and your injuries were caused by another person’s negligence or carelessness, speak to a Dallas motorcycle accident attorney today. Call the Texas personal injury lawyers at Rasansky Law Firm to schedule a no-obligation meeting.