Improper use of Pitocin® during delivery is known to cause birth injuries. Our Texas attorneys explain your legal options.
Did you or your baby suffer an adverse event due to the improper use of Pitocin? Contact Rasansky Law Firm today at 1-877-405-4313 for free information on how we can help you obtain the justice and compensation that your family deserves.
Pitocin® (oxytocin injection, USP) is a drug which is administered to women who are about to go into labor to help ripen the cervix, as well as induce artificial contractions.
Pitocin is a synthetic version of oxytocin (a naturally-occurring hormone), similar to Syntocinon. That said, the use of Pitocin during birth and delivery has been the subject of much controversy over the years due to the serious and sometimes fatal complications associated with improper use of the drug.
When medical professionals administer Pitocin, they must do so with care due to its many risks. At the same time, doctors and nurses are supposed to closely monitor the baby’s (and mother’s) vital signs to make sure that everything goes as planned. Failing to discontinue to the of Pitocin after an adverse reaction or event can open the hospital up to a serious medical malpractice lawsuit.
Despite the fact that Pitocin is commonly used during the birthing process, in some situations, its use could lead to dangerous complications. Here are just a few:
- Uterine rupture – Due to the unnatural way in which Pitocin stimulates pelvic floor muscles, pregnant women are more likely to suffer from uterine rupture as contractions get stronger and stronger.
- Decreased fetal heart rate – The unborn child may have vital resources taken away from them in the womb as the mother’s body tries to get its systems back in equilibrium. This can lead to a weak fetal heart rate which can then jeopardize the functioning of various organs in the unborn baby, and may lead to the development of hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy and even cerebral palsy.
- Brain damage – Since contractions caused by Pitocin are so strong, both the baby and mother may suffer baby brain damage brought on by hemorrhages, strokes, and/or hypoxia.
- Embolism caused by amniotic fluid – As the contractions caused by Pitocin continue to get stronger, it’s possible for amniotic fluid to leak into the mother’s bloodstream, causing blood clots throughout her body. When these clots travel to vital organs such as the heart, lungs or brain, they often prove fatal.
- Stillbirth – A child that suffers fetal distress as a result of the adverse effects of Pitocin may suffer an intrauterine death or intrapartum death.
Experience counts when it comes to Pitocin-related birth injury cases.
If you believe that the use of Pitocin led to your child’s birth injuries, call 1-877-405-4313 and let us evaluate your claim, free of charge. Rasansky Law Firm has extensive experience litigating and settling Pitocin-related birth injury claims, and we never ask you to pay a penny out of pocket; we only get paid if we win your case!
Speak With a Dallas Birth Injury Attorney For Free
The attorneys at Rasansky Law Firm are happy to speak to you about your potential case free of charge. If we can help with your claim, we’ll do so for no out-of-pocket cost to you. Call us 24/7 at (214) 651-6100, or toll-free at 1-877-405-4313.