When a Texas medical malpractice attorney tells you that their law firm won’t take your case, it can be extremely upsetting and confusing – especially if you are positive that you have been harmed by a medical mistake. However, there a several good reasons that a lawyer may not accept your case.
- We can’t prove that a medical error took place. We need to prove that there was wrongdoing or liabilityon the part of the doctor or hospital. Even if you are sure that a mistake took place, you must understand that we have to convince a jury of that fact – they can’t just trust your story alone.
- We can’t prove that the error caused your injury. Even if we have strong, solid evidence that the doctor or hospital made a serious error, we must also have evidence that this error resulted in your injuries.
- We can’t prove you suffered significant permanent injuries. A hospital could have made an absolutely blatant mistake witnessed by dozens of people – but if that mistake didn’t result in serious damage, there is no reason to file a malpractice lawsuit. If a mistake results in medical bills, lost wages, pain, and trauma, you may be owed compensation. If the medical mistake didn’t affect your life, you may not be owed compensation.
- You’ve waited too long to file a case. Medical malpractice lawsuits have statutes of limitations – a window in which you can file a case. If it has been too long, you may not legally have the ability to sue, even if you were badly injured by a medical mistake.
- A medical expert doesn’t agree. As lawyers, we can review the legal aspects of your case – but we depend on medical experts to explain to us exactly what they think went wrong during your healthcare experience. If they don’t think you have a case, we must trust their expert opinion.
It is important to note that law firms can have different opinions about different cases, and that even if one attorney turns down your case, another attorney may be happy to take it. If you have suffered harm due to a serious hosptial mistake and would like to speak to a Texas medical malpractice attorney about a possible case, call Rasansky Law Firm today at 1-877-405-4313. We can review your story and let you know directly whether or not we feel that you should move forward.