This month in Huntsville, two more people lost their lives due to a wrong-way driver. In this case, a man driving down the wrong side of I-45 crashed head-on into a vehicle which in turn hit a third car. In addition to the two lives lost, three people suffered serious injuries.
While everyone with a license can take steps to prevent wrong-way driving and report wrong- way driving, there are also actions that the state of Texas can take to stop these accidents or reduce their prevalence. Let’s take a closer look:
- Identify confusing points of entry. When wrong-way car accidents occur due to confused drivers, a confusing intersection, or badly signed off-ramp, the driver could be partially to blame. But if these accidents happen at the same spots repeatedly, the road designer could be at fault.
- Better drunk driving laws and enforcement. The majority of wrong-way driving accidents take place because of drunk drivers – those who are so intoxicated that they don’t realize they are on the wrong side of the highway or interstate. Preventing these drivers from ever getting behind the wheel is key to preventing fatal wrong-way crashes.
- More frequent evaluation for older drivers. Some believe that many wrong way accidents could be prevented through more evaluation of aging drivers – another frequent cause of wrong-way crashes. Drivers with vision issues and mental issues like dementia are more likely to cause these accidents than others.
- Emergency radio announcements. Some safety advocates believe that alerting drivers to a wrong-way driver at the time of the incident through an emergency radio interruption could save lives. In some cases, police are notified of a wrong-way driver but do not get to the scene in time to prevent a deadly accident.
- More research. Perhaps the best way to prevent future wrong way crashes is to better understand why they take place in the first place. Further study of these crashes could shed light on the best solutions.
Have you or a family member been harmed by a wrong-way driver in Texas? Speak to a car accident attorney in Dallas today to learn more about whether or not you deserve compensation. Schedule a free, confidential appointment at Rasansky Law Firm today.