Injured in a Dallas-area wrong-way accident? We can help!
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in an auto accident caused by a wrong way driver, call Rasansky Law Firm at 1-877-405-4313 today for a free evaluation of your case. We can explain the options available to you moving forward.
Due to the sheer force and severity of a head-on collision, wrong-way accidents often result in catastrophic injuries or wrongful death. One of the reasons why wrong way accidents are so serious is due to the fact they often occur when a driver is traveling at speed. Even at low speeds, a head-on car accident can exert a tremendous amount of force to the neck, leading to whiplash and other soft-tissue injuries. Even with safety devices such as airbags, it is seldom that there are no injuries in a head-on collision.
Wrong-way crashes most-often occur on highways, either due to a driver entering the highway via an off-ramp, or due to a driver crossing over the yellow center line on an undivided highway. Even in accidents that do not occur on major highways, speed is often a contributing factor, along with drugs and/or alcohol.
With the advancement of technology, distracted driving that occurs from text messaging—and sometimes even just talking on a cell phone—is frequently cited as a contributing factor in such accidents. The problem for the potential victim is that the sight of another car coming straight at them often leaves them startled, and provides little time for them to react and move out of the way.
Contributing factors in wrong-way auto accidents.
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) provided information in 2012 that indicated there were several factors that play significant roles in many head-on collisions caused by wrong-way drivers. Some of the most-significant contributing factors are as follows:
- Alcohol was a factor in 60 percent of fatal head-on collisions.
- Age was also identified as a contributing factor, with NTSB research showing that drivers over 65 were at the highest risk for these types of accidents.
- The use of illegal and/or prescription drugs.
- Distracted driving of one or more drivers.
- Lack of adequate signage and poor visibility.
While there are tools which could reduce the number of wrong-way drivers entering the highway, TxDOT has been slow to implement them in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Fortunately, this appears to be turning around.
Wrong-way car accident statistics.
- According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), approximately half of all occupants killed in passenger vehicles were involved in head-on collisions.
- The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) reported that people driving in the wrong direction on freeways has been a problem ever since the introduction of the interstate highway system in the late 1950s.
- According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), approximately 360 people die each year in accidents involving wrong-way drivers.
- An analysis of Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) data by the NTSB revealed that approximately 69 percent of fatal wrong-way crashes had indications of alcohol involvement.
- 31 percent of all wrong-way collisions occur between midnight and 3:00 a.m., and 57 percent occur on weekends.
- About one percent of all car wrecks result are fatal, yet about 20 percent of wrong-way accidents result in at least one fatality.
- Texas leads the nation in wrong-way accidents. In 2016 alone, there were over 1,000 wrong-way crashes in Texas, resulting in at least 65 fatalities.
How we help victims seek justice and compensation.
As a personal injury law firm, it is our job to represent those seriously hurt in car accidents and help them recover the money they deserve. It’s all we do, and we never charge a penny unless we win you money. During your initial consultation, we’ll discuss the facts of your case, advise you of your options, and give you our honest advice. If we feel as though you have a strong case which you wish to pursue, we can begin preparing your claim immediately.
Once you hire us to handle your case, you can leave the hard work to us and focus on recovering from your injuries. You will no longer have to speak to the insurance company, and no settlement decisions will be made on our behalf without your direct approval. Give us a call today at 1-877-405-4313 and let’s discuss your options moving forward.
Speak With a Dallas Car Wreck Attorney For Free
The attorneys at Rasansky Law Firm are happy to speak to you about your potential case free of charge. If we can help with your claim, we’ll do so for no out-of-pocket cost to you. Call us 24/7 at (214) 651-6100, or toll-free at 1-877-405-4313.