When you are involved in an automobile accident in the state of Texas, there are crucial measures that you should take to ensure that everyone involved is safe, comply with the laws of […]
Since 2009, Texas law requires that all vehicle occupants wear a seat belt. Accident injuries incurred while not wearing a seat belt can significantly reduce your potential recovery compensation.
In Texas, your right to seek compensation from the insurance company following a car accident is based on fault, as well as comparative negligence.
Texas is a “modified comparative fault” state, meaning that you can only recover compensation from the other driver’s (or their insurance company) if they were determined to be at least 51% at-fault for the accident. Additionally, your overall award can be reduced based on your own negligence.
For instance, someone who causes a crash by running a red light will always be more than 50% at-fault — but jury might place a small percentage of fault on you for failing to take evasive actions. In this example, let’s say the jury puts 90% of the fault on the other driver, and 10% on you.
If the jury awards you $1,000,000, this will be reduced by the 10% of fault placed on you, leaving you with a $900,000 payout.
But if for example you were not wearing your seat belt at the time, a jury may decide that this contributed to the severity of your injuries. If they then put 30% of the blame on you, your $1,000,000 judgment will be reduced by 30%, leaving you with a total recovery of $700,000.
You must understand that the insurance company is not on your side. They’re looking to pay out as little as possible, and have no problem lying to your face when it comes to your potential claim. They may deny your claim outright, or lie and tell you that they cannot offer you a settlement over a certain number.
A good Dallas car accident attorney, on the other hand, is always looking out for your best interests. They will handle ALL communication with the insurance company, and will work to get you every penny you’re owed.
Your attorney will argue on your behalf that the fact that you were not wearing a seat belt doesn’t nullify the recklessness with which the other party acted, and can use evidence and case law to prove you’re owed the money you’re seeking.
Want to know more about comparative negligence as it relates to your car accident case? Give us a call right now at (214) 617-1886 to learn more about your legal options, as well as how we may be able to help you on a no-win no-fee basis.
The attorneys at Rasansky Law Firm are happy to speak to you about your potential case free of charge. If we can help with your claim, we'll do so for no out-of-pocket cost to you. Call us 24/7 at (214) 617-1886.
2525 McKinnon Street #550 Dallas, Texas 75201
Phone: (214) 617-1886
Note: The information that was utilized in this post was gathered from the use of secondary sources. This information used has not been confirmed or independently verified. If you locate any information that is not correct, please contact our firm as soon as possible so that we can make the appropriate corrections. If you find any information that is false, we will remove or correct the post immediately after it is brought to our attention.
Disclaimer: As a valued member of the Dallas community, Rasansky Law Firm’s goal is to improve the safety of all residents in the great state of Texas. These posts should not be viewed as a solicitation for business and the information included herein should not be taken as medical or legal advice. The photos used in this post are not representative of the actual crash scene.
Over 30+ Years Of Personal Injury Experience
Top-Rated and Award-Winning Personal Injury Lawyers
Attorneys Available to Discuss Your Case Now
No Fee Unless You Win
Free Confidential Consultation.
Fill out the form below to receive a free and confidential initial consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer.