Hurt in an accident, but the other driver doesn’t have valid car insurance? You may still have options.
Being involved in a car accident is an experience no one wants or expects, especially when the person who hit you does not have insurance. Being in an accident with an uninsured motorist does not have to be filled with agony. All it takes to get past this experience is to be prepared, know what to do, and remain calm.
Steps to take with uninsured motorist accidents.
Just as in any other accident, there are certain steps you can take to ease the reception of compensation for damages and injuries. These are a few guidelines you should follow:
- Check to make sure no one is injured, including occupants of your car.
- Call a police officer to the accident scene in order to make a report.
- Immediately write down important information from the other driver, including the drivers license and license plate numbers, phone numbers, the driver’s insurance company, and his/her policy number.
- If they are carrying an expired insurance card, write down what company and when the card expired.
- If you have a camera (or camera phone) close by, take pictures of the damage to both cars, skid marks on road, and of the surroundings.
- If the uninsured motorist leaves, note the make and model of the car and the license plate number.
Uninsured motorist coverage.
There are certain insurance policies that can help you in situations like this. Many states offer the option to carry uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. This type of coverage is usually cheap to include and can help you recover compensation when the liable party has failed in their duty to retain liability insurance.
Rasansky Law Firm is committed to being an advocate for victims of motor vehicle accidents. We have experienced Dallas car accident attorneys who can assess your case for no charge. If you or a loved one suffered injuries (or a wrongful death) due to the actions of another driver, don’t hesitate to fill out the contact form on this page or call us at 1-877-405-4313. Our team will gladly review the facts of your situation and explain the options available to you.