Studies have found a strong connection between understaffed nursing homes and instances of nursing home neglect – and the connection makes sense.
If an adult care facility does not have enough direct care professionals caring for residents, each resident is receiving less attention than he or she requires. The results can be devastating:
- A neglected nursing home resident often misses her medication because staff members do not have time to finish the rounds.
- A bedbound nursing home resident develops dangerous and painful bedsore because they are not turned often enough in bed.
- A nursing home resident choked on their food because they are not being monitored while they eat.
- A nursing home resident suffers in their own filth for hours at a time since staff members do not have time to take them to the bathroom or change their bedding.
- A nursing home resident is given the wrong medicine by an overworked and rushing staff member.
- A nursing home resident is routinely verbally and physically abused by staffers who are overstressed and overworked.
Nursing homes suffer from staffing issues for a number of reasons – and many will try to boost their number by including cooks and maids as staff members. If you believe that your loved one was harmed by staff shortages and Texas nursing home neglect, speak with a Dallas abuse and neglect attorney today about your case.