When considering a Texas nursing home for your elder loved one, it can sometimes be difficult to look past the sales pitch and see the warning signs of nursing home abuse and neglect.
When touring a nursing home, be on the lookout for these warning signs:
- Unclean sheets, floors, or bathrooms.
- Unwelcoming staff members or administrators.
- Strong odors – either of urine or of strong cleaners.
- Evidence of restraint use, such as straps, vests, and wheelchair restraints.
- A low number of staffers on the floor.
- A low number of residents out and about (or a high number of residents medicated and in bed).
- A lack of safety features, such as grab bars and slip-resistant pads.
- Nursing home residents that are not well groomed.
- Uneaten food or unappetizing food.
- Dark hallways and undecorated rooms.
When touring a nursing home, ask to see an occupied room and to meet a resident or two. Visit unannounced and during a meal for the most accurate observations.
If you believe you have a Dallas nursing home abuse case, call Rasansky Law Firm today to speak with a Texas nursing home neglect attorney.