Many drugs widely prescribed and used are perceived to be safe for consumption, when they can actually be harmful. Although these drugs do have their benefits, they can be devastating and even fatal. Stay informed about all drugs that you are taking or prescribed; your doctor may not be telling you the whole story. Your best defense is education. Our dangerous drug lawyer has put together a detailed list of some of the most frequent offenders:
- Alprazolam, also known as Xanax or Niravam, is classified as a Benzodiazepine which reduces anxiety. It does this by slowing down any chemicals in the brain that could become unbalanced. This drug can be dangerous because there is a risk of dependence even after short term use. There are many withdrawal symptoms including: appetite decrease, blurred vision, clouded sensorium, diarrhea, imapred concentration, heightened sensory perception, dysosmia, paresthesias, muscle cramps, muscle twitch, weight loss and most important seizures.
- Accutane is a form of Vitamin A, which is used to treat acne by reducing the amount of oil released by glands in your skin. It is usually only prescribed after other acne medicines have been tried and did not work. Accutane should never be used while pregnant because it can cause serious, life threatening birth defects. Some common side effects are: Chapped lips, Dry skin and itching, Dryness of nose, mild nosebleed, Irritation of the eyelids and eyes, Joint and muscle pains, Temporary hair thinning, Rash, Intestinal symptoms, Urinary symptoms, Headache, Increased sensitivity to sun, Decreased night vision, Depression, thoughts of suicide. Frequent blood tests are required while on this medicine as it may affect the liver.
- Actonel is used to treat Osteoporosis by inhibiting osteoclast-mediated bone resorption. However, this drug has been linked to Osteonecrosis of the Jaw, a serious bone disease. Many younger women who are prescribed this drug are at an even higher risk of developing dead jaw. Some symptoms of Osteonecrosis of the Jaw are: drainage and exposed gums, loosening of the teeth, pain, swelling or infection of the gums, poorly healing gums, numbness or a feeling of heaviness of the jaw.
- Advair is used to prevent asthma attacks by stopping the release of substances into the body that cause inflammation, and relaxing muscles in the airway. The active ingredient in Advair, salmeterol, is believed to increase the risk of asthma or respiratory related injury or death. A study in 1996 found that African Americans were more at risk for deadly side effects.
- Avandia helps improve blood sugar control in adults with type 2 Diabetes, along with diet and exercise. This medicine may cause or exacerbate heart failure. Avandia should only be used when diet and exercise alone are not enough to control blood sugar. It should not be used to help treat type 1 diabetes.
- Boniva is used to treat Osteoporosis, is a biposphonate that has also been linked to Osteonecrosis of the law. Some symptoms of Osteonecrosis of the Jaw are: drainage and exposed gums, loosening of the teeth, pain, swelling or infection of the gums, poorly healing gums, numbness or a feeling of heaviness of the jaw. Some researchers believe Boniva can prevent the growth of new blood vessels in the jaw, which without the jaw bone cannot heal properly. After taking this medicine you must stand or sit upright for at least an hour to help prevent grim problems in the stomach or esophagus.
- Byetta is another popular drug used to treat type 2 diabetes. It is an injectable medicine that also helps control blood sugar levels by helping your pancreas more efficiently produce insulin. Byetta has been reported to cause kidney problems. The symptoms are: Changes in urine color, changes in frequency of urination, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, swelling of the hands or feet, fatigue, aching in the mid to lower back.
- Chantix is an oral medication that helps people stop smoking. It helps stop nicotine cravings by blocking receptors in the brain. However, this drug has psychological side effects such as depression, suicidal thoughts, hostility and changes in behavior.
- Crestor is a medication that helps to lower bad cholesterol and raise the good, by blocking an enzyme in the liver. The risks are rare but serious and they include: muscle damage and liver damage. The muscle damage can lead to kidney damage especially when Crestor is taken with other medicines.
- Digitek is used to treat certain heart problems such as congestive heart failure, irregular heartbeat and others but was found it could lead to severe and even fatal effects. This is because a defect in the medicine could expose patients to double the amount of the active ingredient, and at that amount it became toxic. Digitalis toxicity can lead to dizziness, confusion, nausea, vomiting, irregular heartbeat, vision changes, decreased consciousness, difficulty breathing while lying down, and possibly death. Patients with kidney disorders have a higher risk of digitalis toxicity.
- Fentora is only prescribed for cancer patients with breakthrough pain that cannot be controlled with other drugs. The active ingredient is Fentanyl, which is 80 times stronger than Morphine. This is why, regrettably, some patients have been prescribed dangerous doses of Fentora. When poor- dosing instructions occur this medicine has been known to cause death.
- Fosamax is a drug used to treat or prevent menopausal osteoporosis or steroid induced osteoporosis by slowing down bone loss and increasing bone mass. When taking this drug be sure to stay upright for at least 30 minutes afterwards as it can cause stomach and esophagus problems. This medication has been linked to osteonecrosis of the jaw. Some symptoms of dead jaw are: drainage and exposed gums, loosening of the teeth, pain, swelling or infection of the gums, poorly healing gums, numbness or a feeling of heaviness of the jaw.
- Heparin is a widely prescribed medicine used to prevent blood clots in the veins, arteries, or lungs. However, in 2008 it was recalled because of the contamination of raw Heparin and people were having serious side effects. Stomach pain, shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fainting, accelerated heart rate, burning sensations and throat swelling are the most common side effects.
- Hydroxycut is one of the most popular weight loss supplements but the FDA has received 23 reports of it causing liver problems. The Hydroxycut manufacturers failed to correctly test all of the ingredients in this supplement. Effects from taking this can include: Jaundice, liver damage, liver failure, elevated liver enzymes, kidney failure, rhabdomyolysis muscle damage, seizures, heart problems, and death.
- Ketek is an antibiotic that helps fight bacterial infections in the lungs and sinuses. Ketek can cause abrupt and brutal liver damage, and in extreme cases it can cause liver failure or death. Some of the symptoms of liver damage imitate those of Hepatitis such as: tiredness, body aches, loss of appetite, nausea, jaundice, dark-colored urine, itchy skin and stomach pains. Less frequently this medicine can cause vision problems, sometimes so severe it stops users from performing normal activities.
- Levaquin is a frequently prescribed drug used to treat bacterial infections in the lower respiratory system, abdomen, urinary tract and skin. However, when taking this medicine there is an increased risk for tendon rupture, especially in the Achilles tendon. It is also proven that it may cause pain, swelling and tears of tendons in the shoulder, biceps, thumb or hand. Symptoms that occur when a tendon is ruptured are: a snapping or popping sound in the tendon area, immediate bruising, difficulty moving the torn area, pain, inflammation and swelling in the affected area. These injuries are more likely to occur in the elderly.
- Mirapex is used to treat shaking of parts of the body, stiffness, slowed movements and problems with balance all caused by Parkinson’s disease. It may also be used to treat Restless Leg Syndrome. Gambling problems, increased interest in sex and overeating are all problems that people may have developed because of taking Mirapex. Taking Mirapex may also increase the risk of melanoma.
- Ortho Evra Patch is a birth control that contains estrogen and progestin. This birth control may cause blood clots, pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis, heart attacks and strokes. The risk is much higher for those women who smoke or who are over 35.
- Paxil is prescription anti-depressant that has been closely linked to birth defects. Taking this medicine during pregnancy can cause: brain and spinal cord injury, heart injury, lung injury, abnormally shaped head/skull, abdominal wall injury, club foot and closure of the anus.
- Raptiva is a Psoriasis drug that has caused progressive multifocal leukoencaphalopathy, a rare brain infection in some of its users. A virus infects the central nervous system and causes this serious, progressive neurological disease. The damage from PML is irreversible and often occurs in people whose immune systems have already been weakened. Currently there is no effective way to treat this disease. The symptoms of PML are unusual weakness, loss of coordination, changes in visions, difficulty speaking and personality changes.
- Valsartan is a medication used to treat high blood pressure & heart failure, and to reduce the risk of fatality after a heart attack. In July, 2018, the FDA initiated a voluntary recall of valsartan manufactured by the Chineese pharmaceutical company, Zhejiang Huahai Pharmaceuticals because. In 2012, Zhejiang Huahai Pharmaceuticals changed its manufactureing method whcih resulted in a by-product called N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA). The EPA rates NDMA as a B2 (probable human) carcinogen. Prolonged ingestion of NDMA can cause liver damage as well as cancer of the liver, kidney, and lungs. Symptoms of NDMA poinseing include: headache, dizziness, fever, nausea, jaundice, vomiting, and abdominal cramps.
- Vioxx is an anti-inflammatory drug used to fight symptoms of osteoarthritis. In 2004 this drug was withdrawn from the market due to an increased risk of cardiovascular events in people taking this medicine. Symptoms of side effects from this drug include: abdominal pain, tenderness, or discomfort; nausea; blood in your vomit; bloody, black, or tarry stools; unexplained weight gain; swelling or water retention; fatigue or lethargy; a skin rash; itching; yellowing of your skin or eyes; “flu-like” symptoms; or unusual bruising or bleeding.
- Yaz/Yasmin are oral contraceptives, currently the most popular, but have the most side effects. Taking these pills may lead to heart attack, stroke, cardiac arrhythmia, pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis, kidney disease, liver problems, organ failure, gallbladder disease and last but not least, sudden death.
You and your loved ones have right to know the dangers these and other drugs pose to your health. The effects of a dangerous medication can be devastating and sometimes fatal. If you or somebody you know has been hurt or worse, killed, by the prescribed use of these or another dangerous pharmaceutical, you and your family could be entitled to a settlement for your pain and suffering.
Rasansky Law Firm has extensive experience with these types of cases, and will use all of our resources to secure the best settlement possible on your behalf. Fill out a free case evaluation today to begin the fight for justice TODAY with our Dallas dangerous drug lawyers.