This month in Jim Wells County, a number of car accidents took place after a dense fog rolled into South Texas, creating low visibility driving conditions. Two serious injuries were reported, and dozens of vehicles were damaged in wrecks.
Many drivers underestimate the dangers of driving in fog because the weather condition doesn’t affect the roads, handling, or traction. However, because fog can significantly decrease visibility, it can lead to serious wrecks, life-threatening injuries, chain-reaction crashes, and multiple-car pile-ups.
How can you drive safely in fog?
- Use your low beams. High beams can make it even more difficult to see in fog. If you live in an especially foggy area, consider getting fog-specific headlights for your car. If you have fog lights, use them. Fog lights are mounted lower on the vehicle and do not shine light up into the fog ahead of your windshield.
- Keep an eye on your speedometer. Being surrounded by fog can act as an optical illusion and make it seem like you are driving slower than you actually are. Make sure that you aren’t going faster than you think you are – and slow down as visibility gets worse.
- Don’t stop on busy streets, highways, or interstates. While some drivers may think that it is safer to pull over than to drive in fog, pulling over can be dangerous in some situations, even if you use your hazard lights. Other car could rear-end you, as many drivers use the taillights of the car in front of them to orient themselves.
- Roll down a window. When you can’t see very well, you can use your ears to help guide you and look out for dangers. Turn off the radio, open a window, and listen. This can help you hear approaching vehicles and potentially avoid a chain-reaction crash.
- Stay off the road in foggy conditions. They number one way to prevent a traffic accident caused by fog is to stay home if visibility is bad. Postponing a trip could save your life.
Have you been involved in a Dallas car accident that involved fog? Call the Texas personal injury attorneys at Rasansky Law Firm today.