It can be extremely difficult to do the right thing in the minutes, days, and weeks after a workplace accident and injury. You may be confused, overwhelmed, in pain, and worried about your employment. You may also be unaware of the steps you need to take in order to prove that you qualify for Texas workers’ compensation benefits or that your employer was negligent. Below, we’ve listed the five most important things you need to do after an on-the-job injury, from getting treatment to getting an attorney:
- Get the medical attention you need. Your health is more important than any other aspect of your accident, including your workers’ compensation claim. Be sure to seek help and treatment immediately. If your accident isn’t one in which you need immediate medical attention or if you failed to get help, just be sure to act soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more your case and your health suffer.
- Let your manager know about the accident. Letting your employer know that an accident occurred is the second most important step. Not informing your boss of the accident could seriously harm your Texas workers’ compensation claim. If you verbally report your on-the-job accident, make sure to also submit a written report in a timely manner.
- Get all the facts that you can about the accident and injury. When it comes to seeking workers’ comp benefits, evidence is vital in proving your case. Write down everything you can remember about the accident and how it occurred, and also be sure to keep all paperwork and information about your injury and treatment. Talk to co-workers if they saw the accident or have more information about your case.
- Follow your doctor’s treatment plan. Comply with all of your doctor’s orders, including taking any prescription medication and following all therapies and treatments. Not following your treatment plan could jeopardize your case and your health. If you can’t afford to obey your doctor’s orders, tell your doctor, your employer, and your attorney.
- Consult with an experienced Texas worker injury attorney. Speaking with a Dallas workplace accident lawyer can ensure that you do everything you need to do after your work injury that will help you prove your workers’ comp claim and get the benefits that you need and deserve. The Rasansky Law Firm offers injured Texas workers a complimentary meeting with an attorney in which you can get your questions answered and discuss your case. Call us today at 1-877-405-4313.