Be prepared for a car accident! It’s not just the Boy Scout motto; it’s also a good idea.
There are a few items you should keep in your glove compartment in case you are involved in an accident. A little advance planning can keep you from getting a ticket and possibly damaging your Texas car accident claim.
Our Dallas car accident lawyers suggest that you keep the following documents in your glove compartment to prepare for a Dallas car accident:
- Proof of Insurance: Texas law requires that all licensed drivers carry proof of insurance while driving in Texas. The officer that comes to your Dallas car wreck will ask you to show proof of insurance. The best way to do that is to keep your insurance card in your vehicle. If you don’t have proof of insurance, you may be given a ticket and your vehicle may be towed and impounded at your expense.
- Vehicle registration: You are also required to keep a physical copy of your vehicle registration in your vehicle. The sticker on the windshield will show that your registration is up to date. You may be fined if your vehicle registration has expired.
- A list of emergency numbers: Keep a list of people to contact in case of emergency. Include numbers for your nearest relatives, your doctor, your babysitter, and your Dallas accident attorney.
- An accident information kit: You can create a dedicated kit to help you collect information after an accident. Put a small notebook, a pen, and a disposable camera in a plastic bag. On the first page of the notebook, put a list of essential information to get from the other driver: name, make and model of the car, auto insurance company and policy number, license plate number, and driver’s license number. Having the kit will help you remember the information you need even in the confusion after a crash.
- A copy of Biggest Mistakes Drivers Make After an Accident or Accident Claim Do’s and Don’ts: Our free books can help you protect your accident claim from the very beginning.
If you have questions after an accident, call the Dallas car accident lawyers at Rasansky Law firm at 1-877-405-4313. We offer free consultations.