Wal-Mart has pulled baby formula that may have led to an infant’s death this past Sunday in Lebanon, Missouri.
10 day-old Avery Cornett was given Enfamil Newborn powder formula made by Mead Johnson Nutrition before he contracted a rare bacterial infection called Cronobacter Sakazakii. Late last week Avery began showing symptoms, and he died Sunday after being removed from life support at St. John’s Hospital in Springfield, MI.
Right now it’s unclear exactly what caused Avery’s infection and both the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are testing samples of the formula for signs of bacteria.
Wal-Mart is acting with what spokeswoman Dianna Gee said is “out of an abundance of caution.” To ensure everyone’s safety, Wal-Mart has pulled the lot #ZP1K7G of Mead Johnson Nutrition’s Enfamil Newborn powder. Wal-Mart is offering refunds or exchanges for parents who have already purchased the formula. If the investigation shows that the formula was not a factor in Avery’s death, the product might be back on the shelves.
Christopher Perille, spokesman for Mead Johnson Nutrition reassured consumers by reiterating that products are tested numerous times throughout production – including a test for Cronobacter.
Concerned parents may be wondering – what can I do to prevent this? The Missouri Department of Healthadvises parents to follow World Health Organization guidelines for safely preparing powdered infant formula.
This means using simple but essential sanitary precautions like: thoroughly washing hands, sterilizing all equipment with hot, soapy water and being sure to only make enough formula for one feeding.
Keep an eye out for the results of the CDC and FDA investigations. Be cautious and informed when purchasing products for your children. If you’d like to speak with a formula recall lawyer here in Texas give us a call at 1-877-405-4313.