One person is dead and two others are injured in a White Oak on-the-job accident in which an EMT team was poisoned with carbon monoxide. The accident involved the ambulance company Champion EMS and took place about 120 miles from Dallas.
According to news source KWCH Eyewitness News Channel 12, the three EMT workers were in an EMS ambulance bay and using an ambulance generator that was giving off carbon monoxide. The ambulance bay, which is located in White Oaks, Texas, was not equipped with a carbon monoxide alarm.
While the emergency medical technician in training that died in the worker accident has not been identified, a spokesperson for the hospital where the accident took place says that the Texas woman was 33 years old and a married mother of four. Two other EMTs were injured in the carbon monoxide accident.
According to the Good Shepherd Medical Center in Longview, the workers were found only when the shift change occurred at 7 in the morning on Friday.
Two funds have been set up in the wake of the worker accident. Interested parties may mail donations to Good Shepherd Foundation at 700 East Marshall Avenue, Longview Texas, 75601. The second fund has been set up for Steenland’s children. Readers can make donations to Texas Bank and Trust under the following account name: Kimberly K. Griffin for benefit of Casey Steenland.
Flags in White oaks flew at half-staff as the small community mourned the loss – with family members saying that Casey Steenland had been looking forward to helping people when her training as an emergency responder was complete.