A car may have won the battle on the road, but our Dallas bicycle accident lawyers can win the battle in the courtroom. Contact Rasansky Law Firm to discuss your bike accident.
Over the past decade, we have seen a dramatic increase in the number of bicyclists sharing the roadways across our state. Riding a bicycle is often considered a healthier and cost-effective method for transportation. Although riding a bicycle can be a fun and rejuvenating experience, sharing roads with negligent drivers can create a dangerous atmosphere immediately.
Cars and all moving vehicles must be attentive to bicycle riders. Drivers of cars must treat bicyclists with the same respect as other drivers and must certainly obey and observe the same laws. Ignorance of the laws will not protect a negligent or careless driver for causing serious personal injury to a bicycle rider. Our bike accident lawyers have seen the damage cars cause to cyclists first-hand.
The attorneys at Rasansky Law Firm have nearly three decades of experience fighting to protect the legal rights of bicyclists injured in collisions. Our team goes to the site of each accident, gathers evidence, and puts together solid claims to ensure those harmed are fully and fairly compensated after their accidents. If you were injured in an accident as a result of another driver’s actions, contact our bicycle accident attorneys in Texas at your earliest convenience to discuss legal options available for you.
Staggering Bicycle Accident Statistics
Regardless of the fact that numerous laws are enacted each year to protect bicyclists throughout Texas, they are continually victimized at an alarming rate. Bicycle accidents are some of the most catastrophic types of collisions due to the fact that riders have very little protection during the time of their accidents. Careless and negligent drivers causing serious personal injury to bicycle riders and bicyclists have resulted in some staggering statistics.
- A bicyclist is fatally injured every 6 hours.
- Nearly one million children are injured each year in bicycle related accidents.
- Nearly half of all bicycle fatalities occur to children under the age of 16.
- 75% of all serious injuries and fatalities from bicycle accidents are from head injuries.
Age also plays a critical role in determining your risk of being injured in an accident. Statistics surrounding bicycle accidents over a five year period include:
- Victims under age 14 – 25% of accidents
- Victims between the ages of 15 and 24 – 24%
- Victims between the ages of 25 and 34 – 14%
- Victims between the ages of 35 and 44 – 11%
- Victims between the ages of 45 and 54 – 13%
- Victims between the ages of 55 and 64 – 7%
- Ages 65 and older – 3%
There are a plethora of reasons why bicycle accidents occur. In many cases, bike accidents are caused by inattentive drivers due to the following reasons:
- A driver turning directly in front of a bicyclist
- A car entering the street from a driveway or parking spot and pulls out into traffic in front of the bicyclist
- Drivers opening doors into bicycle lanes without checking for travelers (dooring accidents)
- Inclement weather conditions causing poor visibility
- Poor road conditions like potholes, detours, construction lanes, or not having designated bicycle lanes
- Drivers failing to check their blind spots before changing lanes
- Speeding drivers who fail to yield the right of way to bicyclists
- A driver’s failure to yield at an intersection or running a stop sign or red light.
- A driver’s inattention while driving past a bicyclist
- An automobile driver’s failure to look both ways when resuming travel after stopping at a stop sign
- A drunk or impaired driver
If you sustain injuries in a bicycle accident, as a result of another driver’s actions, it is crucial that you act quickly to protect your legal rights. You may be entitled to compensation to help alleviate the financial burdens you face moving forward. Contact our bicycle accident lawyers in Dallas as soon as possible to see how we can help you.
Bicycle Accidents are Increasing Throughout Texas
Although bicycle accidents can take place at any location in the state of Texas, there are ten counties where bicycle accidents happen at an alarming rate. The counties with the highest number of bicycle accidents each year include:
- Harris County: More than 1,150 bicycle accidents are reported annually
- Travis County: More than 1,100 bicycle accidents occur annually
- Dallas County: More than 680 bicycle accidents are reported each year
- Bexar County: Roughly 600 accidents are reported each year involving bicyclists
- Tarrant County: Approximately 460 bicycle accidents are reported annually
- Collin County: Over 215 bicycle accidents take place here annually
- Denton County: Around 160 bicycle accidents occur annually
- Nueces County: more than 150 accidents involving bicyclist occur each year
- El Paso County: Around 160 bicycle crashes occur each year
- Hidalgo County: Around 140 bicycle accidents are reported annually
Some of the largest cities in the state are located within the top four counties, which drastically increases the probability of bicycle collisions. Looking further into each county, it is important to take into consideration where bicycle accidents happen most often. Over a five-year period, patterns involving bicycle accidents throughout Texas showed these accidents occurred on the following roads:
- 69% of bicycle accidents took place on city streets
- 15% of accidents occurred on US and state highways
- 8% of bike crashes occurred on Farm to Market roads
- 5% of accidents took place on county roads
- 3% of accidents occurred on interstate highways
Alarmingly, fatal accident statistics appear somewhat differently. Accidents surrounding fatal incidents demonstrate:
- Roughly 33% of fatal bicycle accidents occur on US and state highways
- 31% of fatal bike crashes occur on city streets
- 19% of fatal bicycle collisions occur on Farm to Market roads
- 9% of fatal bicycle accidents occur on interstate highways
- 8% of fatal collisions involving bicycles occur on country roads
Roads with higher speed limits generally result in catastrophic or fatal injuries more often than roads with slower limits. Victims injured in a bicycle collision, or surviving relatives to those killed in these accidents, should reach out to an aggressive bicycle accident attorney as soon as possible to explore legal options available.
What to do If You are Injured in a Bicycle Accident
If you are involved in a bicycle accident, it is imperative that you take the following steps to ensure your mental, physical, and legal interests are protected. Some tasks you should perform after being involved in a collision, whenever possible, include:
Collect information: If you are not severely injured, try to gather contact information and insurance information from those involved. You will need to obtain the driver’s information, name, and license plate number. If possible, take pictures of the scene of the accident. Additionally, collect the names and contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
Visit your doctor: You should seek immediate medical attention following a bicycle accident. Even if you do not feel as if you are injured, it is imperative that you receive a thorough medical exam and go through testing following an accident. You may have injuries that do not present symptoms immediately. It is crucial to get treatment and track any symptoms you are having early on in case your injuries worsen.
Retain an attorney: Working with a knowledgeable and aggressive personal injury attorney is the best thing you can do to protect your legal rights after being harmed in an accident. A Dallas bicycle accident attorney from Rasansky Law Firm will handle all communication between the insurance companies and aggressively negotiate full and fair compensation on your behalf.
Contact Rasansky Law Firm at your earliest convenience to explore legal options available for you. Our team is available to meet with you to discuss the circumstances surrounding your case and to determine the best path forward to getting you the justice you deserve.
Injured Bicyclists Deserve Full and Fair Compensation
If your bicycle accident was a result of a negligent or reckless driver, you may be entitled to compensation to help cover the damages you face moving forward. Many auto insurance companies try to avoid taking responsibility for the injuries and damages bicyclists suffer in collisions due to negligent drivers. In many cases, insurance companies will undervalue the damages victims sustain and even try to blame victims for their injuries and damages.
At Rasansky Law Firm our Dallas bicycle accident attorneys are familiar with all of the gimmicks that big insurance companies try to use. This enables us to fight aggressively to ensure our clients are able to obtain the maximum amount of compensation available for their legal claims. Our team is prepared to hold those at-fault accountable for their actions. Depending on the circumstances surrounding your bicycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation including, but not limited to the following:
- Medical costs for treatment
- Long-term care expenses
- Replacement and repair costs for your bicycle
- Long-term disability benefits
- Lost income or diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Disfigurements or loss of limbs
- Loss of consortium
If victims end up passing away due to their injuries, our attorneys help surviving relatives maximize their recoveries for wrongful death claims. Our lawyers strive to provide aggressive and responsive legal representation for our clients to ensure that they are in the best position possible to move forward and recover. Contact our law firm today to discuss legal options available to you.
An Increase of Bike Traffic May Lead to an Increase in Auto-Bike Accidents
Many cities now recognize the increase in bike traffic and have constructed special bike lanes. Parks have now made bike trails accessible to bicyclists and bike riders. However, many drivers do not respect the bicyclists’ rights to share the roads and, more importantly, many bike riders have not been educated on how to legally and safely share the roads with automobiles. That’s where our bike accident lawyers can help!
If you would like more information regarding bike-versus-car accidents or other types of automobile accidents, please, review our library and blog sections for this site. We update all content regularly and take pride in providing free resources on a variety of subjects.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bike accident, contact one of our Dallas bike accident attorneys online or call the Rasansky Law Firm and let us put our years of experience to work for you today.
Legal Rights of Bicyclists
Bicycles are considered vehicles under Texas laws. As such, riders are afforded all the same legal rights as others sharing the road. Conversely, they are also required to adhere to the strict laws of the road. Bicyclists under the age of 18 must wear helmets at all times. The helmets must fit correctly and be approved by the Texas Department of Transportation.
Speak With a Dallas Bicycle Accident Lawyer For Free
Being involved in a bicycle accident can have a detrimental impact on a person’s life. Many victims are forced to endure overwhelming pain and suffering – mentally, physically, and financially. The burdens victims face related to medical treatment, lost wages, and other economic damages often extend to their families. When victims are injured in bicycle accidents as a result of other drivers’ negligent and reckless actions, it is crucial that they act quickly to protect their legal rights.
The bicycle accident attorneys at Rasansky Law Firm in Texas have decades of experience helping accident victims recover from their accidents. Our attorneys are dedicated to helping victims get the compensation they deserve to cover the financial burdens they face moving forward.
Our competent and trusted attorneys fight diligently to ensure victims are in the best position possible to move forward after being harmed by another driver.
Speak With a Dallas Bicycle Accident Lawyer For Free
The attorneys at Rasansky Law Firm are happy to speak to you about your potential case free of charge. If we can help with your claim, we’ll do so for no out-of-pocket cost to you. Call us 24/7 at (214) 651-6100, or toll-free at 1-877-405-4313.