When you think of a truly fun and exciting beach or lake vacation, you may think of jet skis – flash, fast, personal watercraft that can make you feel like you are flying. Unfortunately, hundreds of jet ski accidents occur each year across the country and far too many people are injured or killed because of a jet ski.
What are the most common causes of jet ski accidents?
- Driver inexperience. Most jet ski accidents take place when someone borrows or rents a jet ski, and most people do not have a deep knowledge of how to operate a jet ski. Because of this, may jet ski accidents take place when a person does not realize how to maneuver a jet ski correctly or does not understand how much room they need to stop a jet ski.
- Drunk driving. Jet skis are associated with vacations and days relaxing near a body of water. Sadly, this sometimes means that jet ski operators mix drinking with driving. Being drunk while operating a jet ski can be just as dangerous as being drunk while operating a car or truck.
- Mechanical problems. Many people rent jet skis during vacations, and unfortunately not all jet ski rental shops properly maintain their watercraft. In some cases, a jet ski accident could be the fault of a negligent rental company.
- Product defects. Some jet ski accidents could well be caused by manufacturer defects that always existed within the jet ski.
- Reckless driving. While jet skis are meant to be fun, they are still meant to be driven with care and responsibility. Many jet ski tricks are illegal, and many jet ski injuries are caused by reckless driving, speeding, or stunts.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a jet ski accident, talk to the Texas personal injury attorneys at Rasansky Law Firm today about your case.