Each year across the country, about 800 people are killed in ATV accidents and another 160,000 suffer serious injuries. In many of these cases, the four-wheeler accidents and injuries are preventable. Four-wheeling can be a fun activity and a great form of transportation in off-road situations. However, it’s important to know how to operate these vehicles correctly, how to prevent against injuries, and how to minimize the chance of an accident.
Here are some quick ATV accident and injury prevention tips:
- Wear a well-fitting helmet to protect against head injuries.
- Wear protective gloves, boots, long sleeves, and long pants.
- Take a safety course or driving course that focuses on ATV riding.
- Never carry a passenger on a one-person ATV.
- Never allow a child to operate an adult-sized ATV.
- Always read the warnings and instructions before operating an ATV.
- Avoid riding on paved roads if your ATV is designed for an off-road setting.
- Ride at a speed safe for the terrain and for the weather conditions.
- Be on the lookout for obstacles and uneven terrain.
- Avoid steep embankments.
- Never operate a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Always supervise teens who are riding or operating four-wheelers.
If you are involved in a Texas ATV accident, you may deserve compensation for damages like medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages. Speak with a Dallas vehicle accident attorney at Rasansky Law Firm today to review the evidence in your case and understand your best options for action. Call 877-521-4302 to schedule a free, private meeting.