A massive fire at the Magnablend Chemical Plant in Waxahachie has forced the evacuation of approximately 1,000 residents in the surrounding area.
According to officials, an explosion rocked the chemical plant following a bad reaction to mixed chemicals. The fire quickly got out of control and witnesses described containers exploding and melting.
Officials have warned that the air could contain dangerous contaminants. Local schools were encouraged to keep children inside to avoid toxic fumes and officials have since urged all local residents wear masks outside and limit exposure.
Luckily, at this time, all workers are safe and accountable. Authorities have the fire approximately 80 percent contained and hope to have it extinguished by Monday evening.
Although the explosions and fires didn’t harm any workers, it may be a while before anyone know the long term impact of a toxic fire such as this.